Feeding Hungry Children
I. Jesus gave attention to children
A. Mt 18:2-6 called a child to Himself
1. Parallel – Mk 9:36 took child in his arms
B. Mk 5, Lk 8 Raised daughter of Jairus
1. Jn 8 healed son of royal official from distance
C. Jas 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
D. 16.2m kids struggle w/ hunger
1. 20m kids get free/reduced lunch
2. 20% of TN households now on Food Stamps
a. Suppl. Nutrition Assist. Prog – SNAP
b. 2012 48m people, ‘14 46m
3. Sick more often, recover slower, more hospitalizations
4. Headaches, stomach, colds, ear infections
5. More susceptible to obesity
6. Don’t learn as much, fast, or well
7. Impairs ability to concentrate
8. Behavioral, emotional, anxiety, aggressive
II. Jesus wants us to be generous
A. Feed the hungry, help the helpless
1. Jn 13:39 supposed Judas was going to give something to poor
2. Jn 12:5 sell perfume and give to poor
B. What about people who are poor b/c lazy or bad?
1. Lk 6:35-36 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. 36 “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
2. Ac 20:35 remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’
C. Pr 11:25 The generous man will be prosperous, And he who waters will himself be watered.
1. Pr 22:9 He who is generous will be blessed, For he gives some of his food to the poor.
2. Pr 28:27 He who gives to the poor will never want, But he who shuts his eyes will have many curses.
III. Giving to needy is part of salvation
A. Mt 25:31-46
1. V. 35, 37, 42, 44
2. V. 40, 45 even the least of them
B. Mt 19:16-26 Rich Young Ruler
C. 1 Ti 6:17-19 Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. 18 Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, 19 storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed.
D. Jas 2:15-17 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? 17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.
1. 1 Jn 3:17-18 But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? 18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.
Mt 5:13 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.